The French port of Saint-Goustan is a former fishing port and trading centre situated beside the river Auray (or river Loc'h.) In modern times it has become one of the quarters of the commune of Auray in the department of Morbihan in Brittany.
In the early 17th century, the town of Auray decided to build a port on the left bank of the Loc'h. Quays and ramps were constructed to allow for the unloading of trade ships where previously vessels had used cruder pontoon structures to dock at the side of the river.
An examination of port taxation in 1537 illustrates the commercial activity in Saint-Goustan. The city imports wine, salt, leather, iron and Biscay steel. Conversely, wheat, rye, oats, butter, meat, fish, cloth and fabric are exported. The Auray region was a surplus producer of grain at that time.
The development of the larger Auray port in 1641 was completed with the construction of a wharf and two ramps between the old pier which had been built in 1615. This work included the place Saint-Sauveur and continued south to the construction of the current Franklin dock. The stone moorings were placed in 1692.
The creation of the Lorient port (1665–1670) and the lack of major roads connecting Saint-Goustan to the hinterland were the cause of a decline in activity in the port. This further decreased with the arrival of the railway and the creation, in 1865, of a new road to Auray which isolated the port and further reduced its trade.
Source : WIKIPEDIA